Recipe - Tendlichi Masaledar Bhaaji -Maharashtrian Style ( Tinda / Ivy Gourd Sabji )
Updated: Jun 2, 2021
This preparation of Tendli has lots of ground nut and coconut. Try this recipe and let me know what you guys think.
Tendli ( Ivy Gourd ) – ¼ Kg
Coconut – 1/4 cup -Fresh coconut or Dry coconut chopped in small pieces.
Tomato – 1 medium sized
Peanuts – ¼ cup roasted
Curry leaves – 4-5
Garlic – 7-8 Cloves
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric – Half a tsp
Asafoetida( Hing )- 1 pinch
Cumin ( Jeera) Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander ( Dhaniya ) Powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 or 2 tsp( depending on your palate)
Coriander – For garnish
Salt – as per taste
1. Wash Tendli and slice it into four parts.
2. In a pan heat about 4 tablespoon oil. Once heated, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Let it splutter.
3. Now add Tendli and sir fry for five minutes
4. In stir fried Tendli, add Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Red chili powder, Salt and mix well. Let it cook in the spices for next 2-3 minutes.
5. In the meanwhile, in a grinder, add roasted peanuts, coconut, garlic and grind into a coarse powder. ( Do not add water )
6. Now add the ground peanut powder ( 3-4 tbs) we have made, into the pan.
7. Add chopped tomato and mix all of this well. Cook this for another 5 minutes in the masalas.
8. Now add half a cup of water. Let the vegetable cook in it.
9. After about 5-6 minutes, you will see the water reduced and a nice red colour will be seen. ( Red Tarri )
10. You can make it completely dry or Switch off the flame while it has a little gravy and finally garnish with coriander.
We had it with a mixed Bhakri made up of Rice and Jowar flour.
Here is another pic from the time we had this with soft Chapatis.
If you like the recipe, do like it on my blog. Share feedback and don't forget to share it with your foodie friends.