This is my mother in law's recipe. She would make it every-time I'd visit her. So one of these days I tried my version of it. ( With onion and Garlic )
Here is the recipe -
Brinjals -7-8 Smallest variety that you get.
Tamarind – 1 small ball
Turmeric -1 teaspoon
Asafoetida –1 teaspoon
Salt – 1 Tablespoon
Red Chili powder – 1 tablespoon
Coriander ( Dhaniya) powder – 1 tablespoon
Cumin ( Jeera ) powder- 1 tablespoon
Black Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
Garlic – 5-6 cloves
Onion – 1 onion cut into big chunks
Oil – 6-7 Tablespoon
Cumin ( Jeera ) – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 8-10
Coriander – Half cup finely chopped
1. Wash brinjals.
2. Take pot with water. Add turmeric and tamarind. Bring it to boil. Add Brinjals in it. Let it boil for 4-5 mins ( Not more than that. We do not want to completely cook Brinjal)
3. Let it cool.
4. In a pot, mix red chilli powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, Turmeric, Hing ( Asafoetida) , salt , Jeera powder.
5. Make small slits to baingan into four parts from top. And stuff above mixture in Brinjal.(Don't slit completely)
6. In a pan heat oil. Add mustard, cumin and curry leaves. Let it splutter.
7. Add garlic and onion. Saute it and then add Brinjal in it.
8. Cook for about 15-20 mins on medium flame.
9. Garnish with coriander.