One of my colleagues used to bring this chutney with her breakfast Idli / Dosa. I used to absolutely love it. I had verbally taken the recipe from her. Here is how to make it.
Dry Red Chilies - approx 20
Garlic Cloves - approx 40 ( make sure its double the number of chilies )
Tomatoes - 4-5 roughly chopped
Oil - 7-8 Tablespoons
Mustard - 1 teaspoon
Hing / Asafoetida - as per taste
Salt - as per tastle
1. Grind Chilies and Garlic is a coarse paste. Do not add water. Keep it aside.
2. Blend the tomatoes and make puree.
3. In a sauce-pan heat oil. Once heated, add hing and mustard. Let it splutter.
4. In this, add the chili and garlic ground mixture. Let it sweat for good 5-6 mins.
5. Then add the blended tomato puree. Let if simmer on medium to low flame for another 5-8 mins. Add salt as per taste :)
This is how the consistency should look when finally cooked.